1938 Mercedes Benz
540K Cabriolet B
- One owner since 1969
- Midnight blue exterior with red leather interior
- Body-off restoration to the highest standard
- Less than 50 miles since completion of restoration
- Matching Numbers
- Body #5500092
- Mercedes Zertifikat (view full-size Zertifikat)
- Extensive Provenance
Mercedes Benz has always positioned itself as the premier supplier of fine motor cars to political elites, artistic trendsetters and the business aristocracy. Designed specifically for the most elite of its advantaged clientele, the 540k was the pinnacle of Mercedes Benz Motor Vehicle development before World War II. It was one of the most impactful and powerful automobiles in period, not in sheer engine power, but in its total mastery of the road and everything on it.
First ordered by and delivered new to Mercedes Benz of Great Britain on 11-23-1938 where it was shortly thereafter purchased by its original owner.In the mid 1960’s, this 540K Mercedes was purchased in England by Henry Plunkett, a prominent Milwaukee architect. It was then shipped by boat directly to the port at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Henry subsequently passed away, but his nephew, James Plunkett, also a prominent architect, offered the car to a family friend and the purchase was completed on November 29th, 1969.The car has remained with this owner since 1969.
A body-off Pebble Beach quality restoration was subsequently completed on the car by Melvin Colvin of Beaver Restorations Sturtevant, Wisconsin. Mr. Colvin specialized in Pebble Beach show winning restorations, notably Duesenberg. This Mercedes remains in mint condition with less than 50 miles since completion of the restoration. Since it was restored, this car has been kept in a controlled environment with heat, AC and dehumidifier conditioned air.